Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Story of Devmitra from Varanasi

Devmitra was a very venerated high priest of Varanasi which was then ruled by King Brahmadutta. He was highly revered by the king and the entire kingdom. And why not? He had a golden personality. He was very intelligent, had a vivid knowledge of scriptures and was very wise. At the same time he was very virtuous and righteous, and had a high moral conduct.

One day a strange question arose in Devmitra's mind: "What is the real reason behind all the love and veneration that is showered upon me by the king and everyone? Is it my wisdom and intellect, or my virtuousness and righteousness?" He could not decide for sure. The question bothered him for a long time and then he decided to find out in an unusual manner.

The next day while returning from the court he stopped by the state treasury. He deceptively picked up a gold coin, hid it in his bag and walked away. The state treasurer saw this and found it very strange. He took no action against him as he also held Devmitra in high regard. He thought that may be Devmitra was in some urgent need of money and would return the coin the next day.

On the second day Devmitra repeated this misdemeanour. The state treasurer noticed him again walking away with the coin. He felt very perturbed but again gave him a benefit of doubt and took no action against him.

On the third day after court, the head priest again came to the treasury. As he picked up a few gold coins in his hand, the treasurer caught his hand. He called out to the soldiers and commanded, "This man is a thief. Arrest him now and produce him in the court of justice tomorrow!"

The news of theft in the treasury and Devmitra's arrest spread like wild fire in the whole kingdom. Devmitra was treated like any other criminal and produced in Brahmadutta's court bare feet, shackled in chains. The king announced a very harsh punishment.

Devmitra then spoke in a very grave voice, "O king! I am no thief. I did this to find an answer to the question that was bothering me for long. I have understood that though my knowledge, wisdom and talents are valuable, if my conduct is not appropriate these capabilities cannot protect me. My civility and virtuousness are the main reasons I have earned so much respect. The moment I erred on those I became an object of punishment."


-------------------
Moral of the Story
-------------------
Greatness does not lie in riches, intellect or talent. It lies in honesty, civility and virtuousness. Learn to respect others by their Attitude and not by their Aptitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

yasmin