Thursday, November 26, 2009

Don't make me laugh - Single Stream Schooling

Written by Product of the KBSR, KBSM

Single stream schooling...

We had that.

It was called the sekolah kebangsaan. "Nice" experience there, I learned all about how Malaysia politics and social engineering worked.

In primary school, I learned about the quota system, how the best marks did not mean you go to the best class, but it was dependent on your race. Learned all about Islam and had some nice teachers want me to join Islam. Learned to say "no" to everything Islam.

In secondary school, I learned that I am not a Malaysian whose family has been in the nation for generations, but I am some kind of "pendatang". Pendatangs are not welcomed, verbal abuse is "fun". New Indonesians immigrants however are welcomed. Also learned that school prizes in various subjects are awarded based not only on your marks in the subject but also how well you score in BM. Learned that non-malays could never beat a malay, because they always had one more subject than you.

So that is the KBSR/KBSM system. And you now know why non-malays have over 25 years withdrawn from our all inclusive sekolah kebangsaan. It is a tough ride. It turns flag waving Malaysian children into strangers.

But it wasn't all bad. I learn that I could be NEAR the top if I worked hard. My BM is good. I learned to look beyond Malaysia for my future. Some Malays are okay people. Just need to show them that most Chinese aren't rich, they won't believe you otherwise.

Related Post
Sekolah Kebangsaan - Failure or Not
Single stream schooling: The bad and ugly side

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

yasmin