Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sekolah Kebangsaan - Failure or Not


We often read and hear a lot people talked about have a single stream school in Malaysia. For the sake of unity in a multiracial nation like Malaysia a single stream school is not bad.

For those who not native to Malaysia education system. We have two forms of primary school (in US or Japan Elementary school) - National School and Vernacular School.
The so called national school or SK (Sek
olah Kebangsaan) or SRK (Sekolah Rendah Kebangsaan) is supposed to be the official national, its main language medium is Bahasa Malaysia. For Vernacular School or SRJK (Sekolah Rendah Jenis Kebangsaan) is also a national school but it main language medium being Chinese and Tamil.

Our Government financial support both but more emphasis on SK or
SRK. Therefore if you are in Malaysia or an Malaysian sometimes you see some school children in uniform ask you for donation or contribution for their school. They are normal from the SRJK.

Supposing SK or SRK are the national school it should be the most popular where most parents would send their children there. But why are there still stubborn parents still perfers to send their children to SRJK. Why?

Our leader think it is the educationists especially the Chinese educationists. They are stubborn and go against every efforts of the government try to create a single stream school for all Malaysian.

The question here is why so? Are the educationists not patriotic or are they traitors? Are the parents so?

We must see this from another angle of the problems.

Vernacular school, why it is still preferred choice of parents? I, myself send my child to SRJK.
If you are me, the answer is simple - quality of education.

I am not a product of SRJK but I was in fact from SK. I can speak Chinese but I cannot read or write. It is a disadvantage but it is not the main reason.

In my school days, in SK, I mix around with children of various races. My good friend is a Indian. He is a Christian. I have many others friends that are not from my race. Though it is difficult to communicate especially at first in year one. We are from difficult background, culture, ethhic and mother tongue. But it does hindrance building of friendship bond. I hope my children can be same as me. But I chosen SRJK for them. Why?

In my days the SK student are comparable to SRJK if not better. We definite excel in Bahasa Malaysia and English. When I am in form one, thought not the top of my school I command a strong foundation in primary, I am as good as those from SRJK. But they have their strength, I cannot deny it - maths. But overall SRJK and SK student as comparable.

In fact many SRJK student need to undergone 1 year additional prior to form one (remove)
But let see today, how may SRJK student need to add additional 1 year. Most of them in their UPSR, score better than their SK fellow student. Their Bahasa Malaysia & English if not better are comparable to SK. In additional they can read & write in Chinese or Tamil (no so sure SRJK Tamil is same but at least SRJK Chinese is so).

So, what is wrong with SK. SRJK student is getting smart? Their teachers are better? Whatever the real reasons be, one thing we cannot deny here is SRJK quality is getting better.

Being parents, what will you do? I certain try my best to gave the best education to my children.
I can't afford those pricey International school. Having the choice SK or SRJK, I choose SRJK for my daughter. She brag to me, she have much homework. Her teachers been strict for not submitting homeworks etc. My wife getting called from the teachers if she fail to complete her homeworks. See, the SRJK teachers initiatives.

My daughter, thought seldom speak English or Malay. But if I said something in English and Malay. She can understand them. She now can read Chinese Newspaper. Image a 9 years old.
Even during my time I still can read newspaper until nearly 12.

I think the quality of SRJK really improve a lot or the SK are lacking too much if not maintain.
In is not the Chinese Educationists that against the single stream school, its the parents.

Why? It just not up to standard.


--------------------------------
S.H.I.T
--------------------------------
Memo to all students

In order to assure the highest levels of quality work and productivity from students, it will be our policy to keep all students well taught through our program of SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TEACHING (S.H.I.T.).

We are trying to give our students more S.H.I.T. than any other schools. If you feel that you do not receive your share of S.H.I.T. on the course, please see your lecturer. You will immediately placed at the top of the S.H.I.T. list and our lecturers are especially skilled at seeing you get all the S.H.I.T. you can handle.

Students who don't know S.H.I.T. will be placed in DEPARTMENTAL EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION PROGRAMS (D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T.). Those who fail to take D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T. seriously will have to go to EDUCATIONAL ATTITUDE TRAINING (E.A.T. S.H.I.T.). Since our lecturers took S.H.I.T. before they graduated, they don't have to do S.H.I.T. anymore, as they are all full of S.H.I.T. already.

If you are full of S.H.I.T., you may be intersted in a job teaching others. We can add your name to our BASIC UNDERSTANDING LECTURE LIST (B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T.). For students who are attending to pursue a carrier in management and consultancy, we will refer you to the department of MANAGERIAL OPERATIONAL RESEARCH EDUCATION (M.O.R.E. S.H.I.T.). This course emphasizes on how to manage M.O.R.E. S.H.I.T. If you have further questions, please direct them to our HEAD OF TEACHING SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING (H.O.T. S.H.I.T.)


Thank you, BOSS IN GENERAL SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING (B.I.G. S.H.I.T.)


Quote:
" Children are the world's most valuable resource and its best hope for the future" - John F. Kennedy



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

yasmin